On this week's episode, we hear from Natali Tshuva, the Co-Founder and CEO at Sternum. With billions of IoT (Internet of Things) devices active today and the industry only looking to expand, one of the biggest concerns is how to keep these smart devices secure. Especially when it comes to devices used in hospitals and infrastructure that people’s lives depend on. Listen in to hear how Natali started her undergraduate degree at age 14, worked in a highly specialised army unit, and learned to think like a hacker, all leading to her building Sternum – a groundbreaking IoT security system.
- 4:08 - Meet Natali Tshuva - early life and education
- 8:10 - Natali's unique experience in the Israeli Defense Force
- 11:02 - The impact of using cybersecurity vulnerability research to uphold the law
- 14:26 - Important lesson in vulnerabilities that impacted Natali's approach to security
- 16:36 - Natali's overview on how IoT devices are used by everyone all of the time
- 20:19 - Decision process Natali faced when considering to change her career path
- 22:46 - The IoT market explained by Square Peg partner, Philippe Schwartz
- 25:41 - Technological challenge for IoT devices - too small to have security software
- 28:48 - Introduction to Sternum
- 29:39 - Sternum's unique approach to ensure they bring value from day 1
- 33:40 - Things that surprised Natali along her journey and what she learnt
- 37:09 - Working with Philippe and raising $6.5 million in their seed round
- 41:00 - What is unique about Sternum?
Natali Tshuva Bio:
Natali Tshuva brings over 10 years of experience to Sternum, both as a researcher and a team leader, in the field of cyber security and software development. Starting her undergraduate degree at age 14 and graduating magna cum laude B.Sc. in Computer Science at the age of 19, as part of a special program for gifted and talented kids, Natali was handpicked to serve in IDF’s 8200 elite technology unit (the Israeli equivalent of NSA) as a security software engineer. Prior to founding Sternum, Natali held several cybersecurity related roles, including leading different R&D and research teams at two global cyber intelligence market leaders.
Having identified critical gaps in the IoT security market with life-saving consequences, Natali now leads all aspects of Sternum’s vision and mission execution both technologically and commercially.
Sternum was founded in 2018 by a team of highly experienced research, development and business leaders. Bringing profound knowledge in embedded systems, the joint perspectives of the defender and the attacker, and an aspiration to elevate the medical security standard, Sternum set out to build not only uncompromising innovative technology, but also to create true impact. Sternum has set out to ensure that our connected future will be the smartest, safest, and most valuable for the people in it.